An area of strength across all ACCE institutions is research into the fundamental understanding of ecosystem services and resources and how their long-term future may be secured.
Our work includes:
- Sustainability of natural and agricultural ecosystems and their service provision
- Linkages between biodiversity and ecosystem function
- Quantification of changes in, and threats to, ecosystem services in soils, freshwater, vegetation and marine ecosystems
- Securing production of agricultural crops through the management of plant pests, soil fertility and plant breeding
- Sustainable water management, groundwater protection and restoration
- Policy and management guidance.
Our work also aims to develop conceptual frameworks for the practical guidance needed for protection and restoration of multiple ecosystem services at the landscape scale.