The ACCE vision is to develop motivated, confident and multi-skilled students, undertaking cutting edge research, tackling environmental science questions of global significance, with the capacity to move between NERC scientific fields, and other areas, relating the science they undertake to business, policy, public needs, and society.
Some of the highlights of our training approach include:
• Whole-cohort training activities where ACCE students from all institutes come together;
• Cross-institutional postgraduate activities and committees, peer-to-peer training, and online resources that foster a strong postgraduate community.
• Training within a coherent multi-disciplinary environment. Our PhD students are exposed to disciplines in the environmental and biology subject areas with relevant and related fields in mathematics, engineering, geosciences, analytical chemistry, archaeology and policy.
• Opportunities for engagement with industry partners – such as The Environment Agency, Parsons Brinckerhoff, Natural England and the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds – in training and placements.
• Bespoke and flexible training combined with compulsory activities to ensure each student has the most appropriate training according to their individual needs.
• Enhanced training opportunities in qualitative skills, ‘omics and field methods as well as enhanced professional skills such as entrepreneurship, policy, careers, and science media.
Our training and PhD research is well placed to address the environmental science skills gaps and we have large numbers of staff with expertise in all of the ‘15 most wanted skills’ identified by NERC.
ACCE training for DTP2 cohort 1 (students starting in October 2019)
Careers and Leadership Training Event – 24th and 25th February 2020, University of Liverpool Foresight Centre. Delivered by the British Ecological Society
Reproducible Research Training Event – 1st – 3rd April 2020, University of York Department of Biology. Delivered by Dr Anna Krystalli
ACCE training for DTP1 cohort 5
Communication and Media Training – 13th or 14th May 2020 (You will choose one day to attended) University of Sheffield, Animal and Plant Science Department. Delivery by Dr Jon Copley, chairman of SciConnect. Infomation on the event here. You will be emailled about selecting a day to attened.